June Makes Three

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Want some frise with your poodle?

Sophie went to the groomer last week. I take her to a local pet supply shop where they really take the time to educate you on pet care, refuse to sell critters of any size, and are just all-around awesome. Plus, they sell the one, obscure brand of dog food that Sophie will eat that I can't find anywhere else. Anyway, when I picked her up from her latest wash 'n fluff, Tab the owner took some time to fuss over her and sit her on the counter top and out of the blue he asked, "What breed did you say she is?" So I told him how we got Sophie and how I have the papers saying she's a poodle but everyone always is asking if she's cockapoo or mini-goldendoodle or whatever. He said, "I used to show dogs, and I'm telling you, there's at least a pound of Bichon in this girl!"

I said, "But what about her papers from the breeder?" He said, "She came from a mall shop, right?" I said, "Yes, and after I got her from the family who bought her, I went to the shop and grilled them about the breeders they used and they promised she's not from a puppy mill."

Ahh, but I'm naive! Apparently, yes, virtually all mall dogs come from puppy mills, like it or not, and after Tab inspected Sophie some more, he deemed her squatty little legs, long body and big round eyes the unmistakable characteristics of a Bichon Frise. Who knew? Then again, who cares? Poodle, bichon-poo, whatever she is... my little girl's adorable, pedigree or not. :-)

2 Comments:

  • Hi Cora and Mike, she is cute no matter what she is!!!

    I love that picture of her!

    Tracy

    By Blogger Tracy and Bob, at 6:00 AM  

  • Glad to have found your blog..We bought the Lucy the bassett hound from a pet shop and we are now wondering how much Bassett she is....

    AMY
    LID 4/23/07

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home