June Makes Three

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Our journey begins

Hello!

This is my first post to our adoption blog. Mike and I have been discussing international adoption, off and on, for over a year, and more recently we have decided that this is the path we want to take to build our family. After reading several books on the topic, talking endlessly about it, and visiting two agencies that specialize in adoptions from China, we've decided that we will begin the process in early January and hopefully, about a year later, we'll be on our way to China to meet our child.

We are very excited about the experience that awaits us. Some people have asked us why we aren't pursuing a baby the old fashioned way. In short, we both feel that we could love a baby in the same way no matter how he or she comes to us. From the few first months we were dating, we talked about how we both liked the idea of giving a child a chance to grow up in a family instead of an orphanage. Plus, even though my health risks are not that scary, I want to do what is best for my health so that I can be an active mom, not a sick one. And finally, we are both fascinated with life in other countries and welcome the chance to learn more about a culture we currently know little about.

Since we are adopting from China, we will be getting a girl. 95% of the babies available for adoption are girls. More on the story of the baby girls in need of homes later.

Her name will be June Nicole. A little about her name: Mike's father Dale lost his dad in WWII. His dad was also named Dale, specifically Dale Junior. In September, we went to a WWII presentation where the letters from Dale Junior were read. Every letter was signed "June". This name always stuck with me as a way to honor the memory of Dale Junior, and when I suggested it to Mike, he liked the idea too. Her middle name, Nicole, is in memory of my dad, Nick.

So that's about it for now. There's much more to say but I'll try not to blather on too much in any given entry. Thanks for reading and I look forward to sharing the journey to our daughter June with those who are interested in following along. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home